Body piercing has been a trend for all for all times. In spite of knowing that one may have to experience pain in the process of doing so, one still goes for getting one’s body parts pierced so as to enhance one’s beauty and trend a sportive and sexy look. In certain societies such as the east and the tribals, it is imperative for the fairer sex to get their body parts such as the nose and ear pierced in order to assert their feminity. Not wearing an earring or a stud is considered to be an embarrassment for women in such societies.
After earlobe piercing, piercing of the nose is the most common form of body piercing that has not only been restricted to the Indian, African and South Pacific inhabitants but has also been taken up by the westerners since a few decades and has become more of a style statement for the youngsters of the modern era. Today, getting the nose pierced is much more than a mere avant-garde fascination.
Types of Nose Piercing
For those who want to know which side to pierce, there are a number of options available for getting the nose pierced according to ones preference. Normally, the part of the nose that is made up of cartilage is the most sought after place of piercing. However, one may opt for several types of nose piercing depending on the area and side of piercing. The three main types of nose piercing are as the following:-
- Nostril Piercing – It is a practice that is most commonly seen among the Indians and the Nepalese. The women of these countries usually prefer getting their nose pierced on the left side of their nose as recommended by Aayurveda. This is because the left side is considered to be associated with the reproductive organs of females. The nose piercing procedure on the left hand side is supposed to ease childbirth and relieve pain during menstruation.
- Nasal Septum Piercing – The method of piercing of the nose on the cartilaginous divide in between the nostrils is known as septum piercing. People getting their nose pierced on this part of the nose have to be careful not to get the cartilage pierced but to use the sweet spot, i.e., gap between the cartilage and the bottom of the nose for nose piercing.
- Bridge or Earl Piercing – Piercing nose on its bridges through the thin skin layer at the nose top and between the eyes is a piercing practice less commonly seen. It is especially noticed among brave men and women who like to experiment with new and adventurous things in life and also have a daring attitude.
One who is too adventurous and has an extremely brave heart may opt for double nose piercing which is actually getting both sides of the nose pierced with lovely studs and sexy rings.
Nose Piercing Procedure – How to Pierce Your Nose ?
If you want to know how to pierce your own nose at home or by a professional piercer, you must go through the procedural methods that have been laid down in order to avert nose piercing problems and risks along with various nose piercing kits.
The first step before getting the nose pierced is to clean the nose and the preferred area with an antiseptic solution. Cleaning nose piercing area helps in removing dirt from the nose and prevents nose piercing infection to occur. Then a cork is pushed in through the nostril so as to catch the nose piercing needle straight and prevent its puncture. This must be done with great care as any mishandling may cause an injury to the septum. A sealed sterilized needle is then unsealed and is inserted through the nostril on the preferred area of piercing the nose. The insertion is bound to cause nose piercing pain and bleeding. After the nose piercing hole is created, the piercer will slowly and carefully take out the needle and pierce the nose with the preferred nose piercing jewelry piece. Lastly, the cork is removed and the jewelry wire gets cut and bent according to the space available within the nose and the position of comfort of the wearer.
Nose Piercing Jewelry
Nose piercing jewellery is actually intended to keep the nose piercing hole intact and there are various types of nose piercings available. Nose piercing rings and studs are the two most common types of nose piercings that can be seen being sported by both sexes. The ring is in fact screwed in through the pierced side of the nose and is twisted from within so as to prevent it from harming the inner part of the nose. And nose piercing studs are designed to be held in a particular place by the help of a ring or a screw. Both of these types of nose piercings are not only comfortable to wear but also have a great appeal to others.
Nostril piercing jewellery is supposed to be light which shall help in the fast healing of the wound. Only after the healing of the wound can one sport large and heavy nose rings or studs. For example, Indian nose piercings are associated with initially light and small sized rings but after the wound gets healed, the nose is heavily adorned with ornamentation.
In case of septum piercing, captive bead rings, circular barbells, a circular bar, a tusk with pinchers, are the most preferred jewellery pieces. For nose piercing large gauge septums, plugs are usually worn as they are lighter to carry. A U-shaped nose piercing retainer is also available which is used by school and college goers where such ornaments are not permitted to be worn. They are easy to hide nose piercings and can be worn in and out as necessary. These retainers also serve as fake nose piercing.
Bridge or earl piercings require one to adore curved and straight barbells or seamless rings. However in all the cases, fresh nose piercings must be made up of stainless steel, gold and silver which are of good quality. This is because any compromise on the quality of the piercings or jewelry might lead to severe nose piercing infections. Diamond nose piercing is also preferred by many especially the affluent class.
Nose Piercing Pain – Do Nose Piercing Hurt?
If you want to know if it does hurt getting nose pierced, you must be made aware of the fact that as many tiny nerves run through the nose it may pain and even bleed while the nose is being pierced. At the same time, instead of using a sterilized needle, if one uses a nose piercing gun it is likely to cause more pain and is usually not used for nose piercing as it may prove harmful for the nose. Besides, nose piercing infections may also cause pain and bleeding which may actually be triggered by unclean and unhygienic methods of nose piercing. Nose piercing jewelry of a poor quality and improper size may also be the reason behind nose piercing pain.
Nose Piercing Bump
Constant friction caused due to any kind of genetic predisposition of the person to scars and infections, an accidental yank or wearing of oversized or undersized rings or studs may trigger the development of bumps on the nose within a few days of nose piercing and thereby lead to nose piercing bump infections. It is also known as nose piercing keloids which are a result of the worsening of the nose piercing scar. Severe cases may contribute to nose piercing bump bleeding. In most cases, the bumps are painful and cause a great amount of discomfort.
Nose Piercing Bump Causes
A number of reasons can contribute to the development of bumps which are as the following:-
- The constant fidgeting with the pierced nose and its contact with dirty and unhygienic agents may result in causing nose piercing bump infections and the formation of pus filled bumps.
- If the technique and the procedure of nose piercing has any how gone wrong, it may amount to nose piercing bumps.
- Constant change of nose piercing jewelry may amount to bump formation. If affected by an infection, it may cause infected nose piercing bump.
- The size and quality of the jewellery also determines the occurrence of nose piercing infection bump. This is the reason why nose piercing rings or studs must not be too very small in size as it may lead to the choking of the nose piercing hole and causing a hard and but painless bump.
Nose Piercing Bump Treatment
The treatment for nose piercing bumps depends on the nature of the bumps and the severity with which they might be associated. It can be treated at home with a pinch of sea salt added to lukewarm water, the application of tea tree oil along with olive oil on the bump.
However, medically it can be treated with the use of oral and topical antibiotics. For larger bumps also known as keloids, corticosteroid therapy is recommended which entails the use of collagen injections and other technical methods such as dermabrasion and skin resurfacing. In severe cases when the bumps cannot be treated at all with medications, one has to undergo a surgery in order to remove the same. Besides, one must also avoid using rings and studs of a cheap quality.
Infected Nose Piercing
Nose Piercing Infection Symptoms
The redness and swelling of the skin is quite natural to occur in case of nose piercing. Nose piercing pain on the pierced area is also bound to occur but is of a temporary nature and reduces with the healing of the wound. However, if the painful and inflammatory condition aggravates accompanied with the discharge of pus from the pierced nose tissue due to a number of factors, it amounts to nose piercing infections. The pus is usually yellow or green in color and is also smelly in nature. It also includes nose piercing bleeding as an indication for infection of the same.
Causes of Nose Piercing Infection
The infection of the nose while it has been pierced can be caused by a number of reasons such as the entry of pathogens, namely, bacteria and fungi into the freshly pierced part of the nose. It can also be triggered in case of one wearing very tight jewelry or having been undergone nose piercing with the help of a nose piercing gun. It may lead to nose piercing staph infection. The improper and unhygienic ways of using the nose piercing gun with non-sterilized nose piercing needles may lead to the transmission of even deadly diseases such as HIV and Hepatitis C. Besides, unhygienic ways of living may also be the reason behind nose piercing infections.
Precautions and Treatment for Nose Piercing Infection
Certain precautionary measures such as abstention from touching the pierced area quite often, sporting light rings or studs of a good quality must be adopted to avoid being caught in the trap of a nose piercing infection. One should also restrict from swimming till the piercing gets healed as it may unnecessarily aggravate the situation. The application of antiseptic ointments and the intake of antibiotics that are available over the counter usually prove beneficial for the treatment of nose piercing infection. The treatment for the same is a simple one which can best be dealt by those who are quite aware of the effects of body piercing.
Nose Piercing Healing
The time taken for nose piercing healing may extend from 15 days to over a month depending on the care and the aftercare measures that needs to be followed after getting your nose pierced. The nose piercing healing time is actually extended in case of the occurrence of nose piercing infections or other complications associated with it. However, if one sincerely abides by the nose piercing care instructions that have been given above, it would ensure the fast healing of the pierced area without causing much pain and agony.
Nose Piercing Aftercare and Care
To ensure the fast healing of the nose piercing wound, a few care and aftercare measures have been suggested by doctors and piercing experts and professionals which are laid as under:-
- The pierced area must be thoroughly but lightly cleaned everyday for at least twice a day with sterile cotton swabs dipped in lukewarm water. But infected nose piercings can be treated only with the help of antiseptic soaps or lotions.
- One must also remove any crusty formation on the nose piercing ring with the help of cotton swabs.
- Then a clean tissue paper must be used to pat the pierced side of the nose to prevent its contact with any kind of infected agent.
- One needs to be careful while taking a bath as any kind of ignorance may hurt the infected wound and cause the pierced area to bleed and pain.
- Strong substances such as tea tree oil, alcohol, betadine, hydrogen peroxide and methylated spirits must not be used on the pierced or infected area as it may promote the development of nose piercing scars or lumps. It may lead to a burning sensation and cause great irritation on the affected area.
- For those who want to know how to clean nose piercing at home must be enlightened that sea salt solution, warm compression with chamomile bags, and tea tree oil applied in conjunction with olive oil may prove effective in the healing process of nose piercing wounds or infections.
The most important measure for the healing of nose piercing infection is to maintain the hygiene and the cleanliness of the pierced area.
Nose Piercing Cost
If you want to know how much does it cost to get your nose pierced, you must keep in mind that nose piercing prices differs from place to place. It also depends on the quality of the jewelry and the shop from where you plan to get your nose pierced. The average nose piercing costs may hover around $30 to 70. But it may be as low as $10 in parlors or shops which use basic tools and jewelry to get your nose pierced. The desire to use gold, silver, platinum or diamond nose piercing jewelry which depends on the desire of the people getting their nose pierced automatically raises the piercing costs.
However, cases of double nose piercing or multiple body piercing are likely to get some discounts of sorts.
Hence, one may conclude by saying that although nose piercing has been intrinsic to the customs of many a societies and it has become more of a style statement for the youngsters of the modern era, it has its own perils if not conducted properly or not taken care of.
Nose Piercing Pictures
Look at some of the pictures of nose piercing.